Public Works – Stormwater Division
The Brookhaven Stormwater Division is housed under the Public Works Department. This team is responsible for providing and maintaining a stormwater collection and disposal system for runoff precipitation. These structures are designed to carry runoff away from developed areas to prevent flooding. Please refer to the links below for additional information.
For questions related to stormwater drainage, please contact:
Gregory Anderson Phone: 404-637-0528
Ongoing Projects and Initiatives:
The Stormwater Division has several ongoing projects and initiatives:
Stormwater Infrastructure Inventory. An inventory of the city’s network of stormwater pipes is being collected along with information about their condition. This valuable information will assist the city in prioritizing pipeline rehabilitation and maintenance projects. This project supports compliance with the city’s state and federal permits.
Nancy Creek Watershed Improvement Plan. The city is completing a plan that identifies a list of 43 recommended projects to improve water quality in the Nancy Creek watershed. Approximately 60 percent of the city is located in the Nancy Creek watershed and the watershed includes city-owned Murphey Candler Park and Blackburn parks. The Draft Watershed Improvement Plan is available for review and download.
Osborne Road Flood Study. The city has completed a study of the Osborne Road area that recommends projects to mitigate flooding in response to community concerns.
The stormwater utility fee is billed with the annual property tax bill to Brookhaven residents. DeKalb County collects and forwards the receipts (less an administration fee) in the last quarter of every year.
The fees were adopted by resolution, and the rates as adopted are $5 per month per equivalent residential unit (ERU) or $60 per year per ERU. A single family parcel is considered to be 1 ERU. For multi-family and condominium, each unit is considered to be 0.5 ERU. For non-residential, 3000 sf of impervious area is equal to 1 ERU.
- Fats, Oils, and Grease program -http://dekalbwatershed.com/FOG.html
- Septic Tank Information – http://www.dekalbhealth.net/envhealth/septic-systems/
- Toilet Retrofit Rebate Program - http://dekalbwatershed.com/toilet_rebate.htm
- Brookhaven Stormwater Extent of Service Policy
- Brookhaven Stormwater Extent of Service Policy - One Pager
- Clean Water Campaign – http://www.cleanwatercampaign.com/
- Metropolitan North Georgia Water Planning District – www.northgeorgiawater.com
- Chattahoochee River Keeper – www.chattahoochee.org
- Georgia Stormwater Manual – www.georgiastormwater.com
- Conserve Water Georgia – www.conservewatergeorgia.net
- Georgia Environmental Protection Division – www.gaepd.org
- Georgia Department of Natural Resources – www.gadnr.org
- Rivers Alive – http://aesl.ces.uga.edu/aascd/riversalive/
- FEMA Floodplain Maps – https://msc.fema.gov/
- Georgia Water Wise Council – GA WaterWise Council (GWWC)
- DeKalb County Board of Health Mosquito Control - http://www.dekalbhealth.net/envhealth/west-nile-virus/