Brookhaven’s 2018 proposed budget focuses on advancing planned projects
Proposal maintains a prudent reserve and one of the lowest millage rates
Brookhaven, GA, Oct. 10, 2017 – The City Manager’s proposed budget for 2018 was presented to the Mayor and City Council with a focus on implementing the plans and projects the City has worked to approve during its first four and a half years.
The proposed balanced budget totals $40,740,764 in direct expenditures, defined as the total of all 12 funds minus interfund transfers. The general fund budget, which funds the day-to-day operations of the City of Brookhaven, totals $26 million, a 2.8 percent increase from the 2017 revised budget.
“The 2018 Proposed Budget supports the City’s existing planning documents, created with public input and is reflective of prudent financial and operational management,” said City Manager Christian Sigman. “These recommendations advance the progress of our master plans and does so without an increase in the property tax rate.”
Other features on the 2018 Proposed Budget include:
- The 2.74 millage rate is unchanged and remains one of the lowest in DeKalb County.
- The 2018 year-end General Fund reserve is projected to remain at 25% of expenditures.
- The 2018 paving program is funded $2.5 million consistent with the 2018-2022 paving plan.
- Parks Master Plan implementation funding is proposed at $1.2 million.
- The establishment of the Brookhaven Tourism Department.
- Funding for the construction of Phase I of the Peachtree Creek Greenway set to begin in the second quarter 2018.
“The budget funds a full-service police department, maintains 13 parks with 3 pools and 2 recreation centers; and invests in paving, sidewalk and stormwater upgrades at $777 per capita. We strive to maintain an efficient government and provide the greatest value for the taxes and fees collected,” said Sigman.
The entire proposed budget can be found online at http://www.brookhavenga.gov/city-departments/finance/2018-proposed-budget.
Public hearings on the proposed FY 2018 budget will be held at the regularly scheduled City Council meetings on Tuesday, Oct. 24, at 7 p.m. and Tuesday, Nov. 14, at 7 p.m.
Following the public hearing on Nov. 14, 2017, the budget will be on the agenda for potential approval.
Email questions & comments to 2018BudgetComments@brookhavenga.gov
Director of Communications